What is SMARTPT?
SPT field testing is frequently used in soil mechanics – foundation engineering applications. The obtained SPT hit numbers are corrected by considering the energy differences in the hammer system used. SPT hammer monitoring mechanism was developed by Geodestek R&D engineers operating within the body of METU Teknokent, using local resources. Uncertainties up to the order of twice in the number of hits obtained by using this mechanism have been eliminated. Geodestek can accurately measure and report the energy efficiency of all types of SPT hammers within minutes, with its SPT hammer energy monitoring mechanism, with the measurement service it provides at its head office or on-site, depending on the preference of geotechnical service providers.
5 Reasons to Measure SPT Hammer Energy Efficiency
- Turkey Building Earthquake Regulation (2019); It provides an approximate range for determining the energy correction CE factor according to the hammer type from the hit numbers obtained from standard penetration tests. This range differs by almost twice, even for the automatic hammer type.
- T.R. The Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure General Directorate of Highways Department of Engineering Structures Final Report on the Preparation of Earthquake Regulations for Transportation and Distribution Facilities (2020) recommends the use of a calibrated hammer system for the selection of design-based engineering parameters.
- According to ASTM D 6066, the energy efficiency of the hammer should be known based on the measurement in the measurements taken from each site where liquefaction trigger analyzes are performed.
- Even if your hammer is automatic, the energy efficiencies obtained with different automatic hammer systems are highly affected by factors such as assembly and operation details, usage status and frequency, hammer - head - rod - sampler system connection and orientation details.
- With the standard penetration test, which is one of the most frequently used field tests, it becomes an inevitable reality to have a hammer system that you can measure and periodically control for the correct selection of parameters that will shed light on your engineering designs.
Healthy Result in 3 Steps
- Our expert team is directed to your location.
- A sufficient number of healthy measurements are recorded at 3 different depths in the prepared study well.
- Energy efficiency rates are evaluated instantly in accordance with ASTM D4633-10 and EN ISO 22476-3 standards, they are reported and certified within 1 day.
GeoDestek, Your Solution Partner for 20 Years
- It is the manufacturer of SMARTPT, the SPT Energy Efficiency Monitoring System hardware developed in METU Technopolis by breaking new ground in Turkey with its own resources and knowledge.
- It has full command of all technical and administrative steps of the process and is aware of the responsibility it takes and the engineering results it will bring.
- Adherence to the principles of accessibility, fast response time and mobilization, at every step.
- In the field of geotechnical engineering, it has an interdisciplinary work team that is open to communication and has managed to go beyond the template with survey, project, consultancy, measurement and R&D activities.
SMARTPT at a Glance
- Compliance with ASTM D4633-10 and BS EN ISO 22476-3 standards.
- Options to provide measurement and calibration services in our main office or at your own work site.
- Lightweight and portable, physically protected hardware components against harsh conditions.
- In-depth and rapid data analysis, the ability to generate detailed reports documenting the wave characteristics of each hammer.